Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday Night Lights

I had the opportunity to go with Shelley and Greg to one of Grant's football games. It kind of amazes me how integral football is in my culture. I had forgotten all about the Friday night pastime because it has been so long since I have been.



 I forgot about the passion and spirit that there is at a high school football game. College football games were better than high school games though.

 It is interesting how everyone bands together under a common name and common goal. Objective: defeat the opponent. It is exciting to live life that way, something to do and someone with whom to do it. Everyone has their own little part to play from the quarterback, to the defensive end, to the left tackle, to the cheerleader, band member (I did this one), athletic trainer, yearbook photographer (I did that one), to the football mom, and football booster president dad. And it is all for what... a game? A high school game? And at the same time it is more than that.


I wonder what makes it more than just a game. Do we just make it more because we want it to be? Or is it some leftover primitive instinct to protect and fight for an objective. Why does being a part of that feel good? Is it because really an echo of the War in Heaven continues here on earth?


 There is something about the sounds of the stands and the band, the air, and the lights that just brings back a little something nostalgic. Shelley calls it "Friday Night Spite," but that's more because I think she has a love-hate relationship with it since it involves a lot of work and she has been doing it a long time.





I think I love football, but I'm not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment